Aluminium Rollerstyle shutters are a popular choice for home security because they solve a number of safety concerns in one stylish product. If linked to smart home automation systems, they provide a really elegant lockdown solution that keeps families safe and improves their lifestyle.
Security shutters like roller shutter doors have a number of features that appeal to homeowners, according to Ferdi Pieterse, owner of the award-winning Trellidor Port Elizabeth franchise. Some of these features are:
- Roller shutters roll up neatly into a shutter box when they are not required.
- When rolled up they open up the space completely and are barely noticeable. This makes them perfect for homes with great views.
- They can be fitted to doors as well as windows.
- When installed on the doors and windows in a home, they protect furniture and flooring from damaging UV rays.
- They do not take up any floor space and there is no bottom track, so no tripping hazard.
- They’re an excellent starting point for creating a safe zone in your home.
- Roller shutter doors are ideal for holiday homes or the homes of people that are frequently away as they are truly “lock-up-and-go” doors.
- They help with internal temperature control assistance.
- They also provide sound insulation assistance.
Rollerstyle shutter features
Roller shutters do not need to be linked to a smart home system. They can be automated and supplied with wall mounted control panels and hand-held remote controls to operate them, making them convenient and easy to use.
The solid slatted option is especially useful for the creation of a safe zone within the home. They completely close off the bedroom-section of the home when installed in passages or stairways and they prevent intruders from seeing inside the safe zone.
Another option is to get a viewing panel inserted at a suitable height along the length of the shutter using punched slats instead of solid ones just for this section. This allows you to see what is happening on the other side of the roller shutter if you hear people breaking into your home.
If you decide on solid slats only, the roller shutter doors can be combined with security cameras. This allows the homeowner to see any activity outside the safe zone while remaining protected inside and calling for help from the police or armed response company.
Another popular application for roller shutters is patios. Install them on the perimeter of the patio and they will extend the use of this outdoor living space. The doors keep intruders and bad weather from limiting one’s enjoyment of these spaces. They also create an additional play area for children confined indoors when it is cold or rainy.
“Trellidor Rollerstyle shutters are all automated and designed with special nylon inserts between the aluminium slats to reduce noise levels during operation. They are available in both solid-slatted and punched options and they really fit the bill in meeting the homeowner’s requirements of unobtrusive physical security that is there when you really need it, but out of sight when you don’t,” said Ferdi.
Points to note about fitting Rollerstyle shutters
Roller shutter doors are most often retrofitted, which means they are installed in homes already built and requiring security. Trellidor technicians are very experienced at ensuring the installation is as neat and user-friendly as possible.
But if you are able to get the experts in during the design phase of a building project, you will ensure the least obtrusive installation of this type of security. For example, the shutter boxes can be hidden away in ceiling cavities and the side guide channels can be recessed. The result is a security door that is virtually invisible when not in use.
How Rollerstyle shutters are linked to smart home automation systems
Rollerstyle shutters linked to smart home automation systems are the ultimate in convenience. The Trellidor technicians will work with your installer to ensure that they incorporate the operation of the roller doors as seamlessly as possible.
Here are the main points to note:
- If you already have a home automation system, or are considering installing one in the future, it is important to check the compatibility of the motor specified with your roller shutter door with this system.
- Always make sure that you won’t be trapped in the event of a power failure. Trellidor Rollerstyle shutters have optional battery back-up or manual over-ride systems, or the motor may be powered through an inverter system during blackouts.
- Your Trellidor security consultant will advise on the best placement for the power-point required for the automated roller shutters. This is especially important if the roller shutter forms part of your safe zone.
- If installing a roller shutter door into a passage or stairway for the creation of a safe zone, a CCTV system will enhance the homeowner’s ability to control their response during an emergency situation such as a home invasion. A home automation system offers some really useful features such as remotely granting access to certain areas of the home or locking up even when you’re not at home.
Ferdi advises that if you are building a new home or renovating an existing one, be pro-active and get the experts in as early as possible during the design phase. They will work with your architect and builder, providing the specifications for your roller shutter doors, their motors and the shutter boxes.
“Use a reputable company like Trellidor, with the necessary technical expertise to ensure that you receive a neat and dependable security installation with products that are appropriate for your needs. This way, you will end up with a very pleasing result. A company with a good reputation will also provide excellent after-sales service should you need assistance post-installation.”
Trellidor has been installing security barriers to keep people safe at home and work for over 40 years, so there is not question that they will still be around to provide back-up service years after your security products have been fitted.
Take a look at Trellidor Rollerstyle roller shutter installations
Find your nearest Trellidor franchise and find out more about roller shutter doors