Fixed security products are designed for windows that can open as well as fixed pane windows that do not open. They provide a layer of protection against anyone that tries to break through the window and get into your home.
Fixed security does not slide open like security gates do. Other names for them include burglar bars, burglar guards and burglar grilles. Once installed, they should last for many years, especially if properly maintained.
‘Proper maintenance’ includes cleaning the fixed security gates regularly and we discuss how to do this below. If this is not done, fixed security can start to look very shabby and uncared for, negatively affecting the look and value of your home.
Badly maintained fixed security will also weaken, preventing it from protecting windows in the way that you expect and providing home invaders with an easy way into your home.
Before moving onto how to clean fixed security gates, let’s look at the different types available on the market.
Fixed security gates features
There are many types of fixed security, from welded products to artistic wrought iron versions to the more commonly used trellis-style that matches the popular sliding trellis security gates.
Custom-made fixed security is the better option for windows, rather than DIY burglar bars. The advantage of DIY burglar proofing is that you can buy them at your local hardware store and fit them yourself.
Custom-made fixed security requires a specialist company that will visit your home to measure the windows, recommend products, manufacture them to fit the space and install them for you.
The result is a high-quality installation that will give you many more years of service than a cheaper, weaker product that may rust easily.
DIY and cheap burglar bars can never be as strong or last as long as fixed security made especially for the windows for the following reasons:
- Good quality, custom-made fixed security is made to measure, so it fits the space next to the window properly with no gaps or weaknesses for burglars to exploit.
- Specially made fixed security has built-in strengthening features for increased safety whereas cheaper products are not made as strong in order to save on costs.
- Custom-made fixed security bars are usually fitted with tamper-proof fixings to make them strong under attack, and this requires installation by an expert with the right tools.
- Custom-made fixed security from a reputable company like Trellidor usually have a full, four-sided frame that gives them extra strength. Off-the-shelf products are usually only semi-framed or unframed.
- Trellidor makes fixed security in several different strengths, just like their security gates, so you can find a dependable product to suit your budget as well as the level of crime risk in your area.
When we install fixed security gates it is with the thought that they will last us a lifetime or at least until we sell the home and move on. Good quality fixed security will last far longer than cheaper products.
If you get your fixed window security custom-made, you will be able to get them to match your security gates for a uniform look. It will send a strong message to anyone thinking about breaking in that your home is well-secured, encouraging them to move on.
Whichever security barrier you decide on, it will need regular maintenance. It sounds like a real chore, but well-cared for burglar proofing will last much longer than neglected barriers. Uncared-for fixed security may rust, corrode and weaken, making them easy to push out of the window so that robbers can get into your home.
Make sure you ask your supplier for clear instructions on how to keep them in good condition and you will be able to increase their lifespan.
Another point to remember is that many manufacturers expect you to maintain and clean your fixed security gates in order to validate the warranty. If you don’t do this, they may not be able to honour the warranty if something goes wrong.
Fixed security gates care guide
- Use a premium quality (salt-free) car wash liquid, mixed with water as per manufacturer’s directions and a soft cotton cloth to clean the entire unit.
- Never use abrasive cleaners, detergent-based cleaners or solvent-based cleaners such as scouring agents, dishwashing liquids, washing powders, thinners etc as these could adversely affect the expected life of the product.
- Hard to reach areas may require the use of a soft nylon bristle brush such as a dishwashing brush.
- Dry the unit with a soft cotton cloth or chamois.
The next step is to lubricate the product to prevent corrosion as follows:
- Use Trellidor lubricating spray (available from your local Trellidor franchise).
- Shake the can of lubricating spray well, apply to a clean cotton cloth and wipe the frame inside and out.
- Wipe off the excess residue. This will form a protective barrier against both moisture and contamination of airborne pollutants.
- A second application may be required if the unit has stood for too long without being lubricated and has become stiff and dry.
Remember to read the warnings on the Trellidor Lubricating Spray label as the products is highly flammable, must not be ingested and is irritating to eyes and skin.
How to stop fixed security gates corrosion
If you live at the coast or in a highly polluted city, your fixed security could end up corroding and weakening due to the corrosive atmosphere. Maintaining burglar bars according to instructions will go a long way towards avoiding this, but so will purchasing fixed security that has been properly manufactured to prevent corrosion.
The Trellidor manufacturing process, for example, includes a pre-treatment for enhanced corrosion and UV resistance. This process happens before the components are powder-coated, adding an extra layer of protection against the elements.
The result is long-lasting fixed security that can be confidently fitted into coastal homes and commercial buildings as well as inland ones.
Find out more about fixed security gates
Or find your nearest Trellidor outlet