Fixed burglar bars are a feature of many South African homes. They are traditionally simple metal bars across the windows that prevent people from getting inside your home through the windows. They have long been a favourite form of protection and with so many different designs now available, are set to remain popular with homeowners as they are generally very cost-effective.
Here we look at some interesting variations of fixed security gates.
In the past, the only fixed security gate options were steel bars, and they were usually welded to metal window frames or screwed into wooden ones. Then came trellis-style fixed burglar bars, like the ones manufactured by Trellidor to match their sliding security gates for doors.
The Trellidor trellis-style fixed security for windows is still the highest selling design on the local market and this is because:
- They are made from galvanized steel, which is strong, corrosion-resistant, and long-lasting.
- They are fully framed on all four sides, which makes them strong and creates a neat installation.
- They are installed with tamper-proof fixings to add to their strength under attack.
- The manufacturing process includes a pre-treatment for enhance corrosion and UV resistance, which makes them suitable for both coastal and inland conditions.
- With these fixed security gates fitted to your windows, you can leave the windows open to all in fresh air and sunlight while protected from a break-in.
- They match Trellidor Retractable security gates, so you get visual continuity throughout your home.
- You can choose between an internal or external installation and between a face-on fit or fitted into the window reveal.
- These burglar bars carry realistic warranties against defective workmanship, materials, and corrosion.
Other fixed security gate options
If you need to secure an entire home with fixed security gates, it can become prohibitively expensive. On the other hand, you don’t want to have to go the DIY route because off-the-shelf burglar bars for windows can never be as strong and effective as custom-made ones.
Luckily there are alternatives that are custom-made and affordable if you have to protect many windows in order to stay safe at home. One of these is Trellidor Burglar Guard. The benefits of these fixed security gates are:
- They are powder coated electro-galvanised steel non-retractable burglar bars for windows, making them strong and long lasting.
- There are three burglar guard designs to choose from: single trellis; double trellis; and flat bar without trellis, which can be installed horizontally or vertically.
- They are custom-made for each window, so they fit snugly, and this makes them stronger than most other burglar bars.
- They are made from easy to clean oval-shaped tubing.
- They are semi-framed for strength.
- They are fitted with tamper-proof fixings for increased resistance to attack.
- They are competitively priced and very affordable, so you can secure every window in your entire home.
- The design is suitable for medium to high-security risk locations.
- There is a choice of fitting to suit your preferences and this includes internal, external, face-on, in the reveal, horizontal or vertical.
- Trellidor Burglar Guard carries warranties against defective workmanship, materials, and corrosion
- The manufacturing process includes pre-treatment for enhanced corrosion and UV resistance, which makes these security gates suitable for both coastal and inland conditions.
Fixed security gates for estates and low crime risk areas
Not all homes require high strength fixed security gates to keep people safe. Homes in estates, apartment blocks, and gated communities may just need something on the windows to stop petty theft or prevent monkeys from getting inside the home. Or to keep young children from falling out of windows.
In these situations, you could opt for another design that is fast becoming a favourite for local homes, and that is Polycarbonate Bar. The features of this product are:
- They have a full, four-sided extruded aluminium frame that makes it a strong burglar bar and makes the fitting neat.
- Lightweight, transparent, strong, and UV resistant Polycarbonate panels inserted into the frame at regular intervals.
- The units are fixed into the substrate surrounding the window using tamper-proof fixings, making it stronger than competitor products.
- The Polycarbonate bars are see-through and hardly noticeable.
- Trellidor Polycarbonate Bar has strengthening features that make it a security barrier, not just ‘monkey bars’.
- Window handles and hinges are easily accommodated.
- Trellidor uses fixings that are difficult for intruders to access or remove. This method of fitting Polycarbonate bars to the window is stronger and more resistant to attack than the more common method of attaching the Polycarbonate strips to the window frame.
- These burglar bars are custom-made by Trellidor and installed by trained technicians.
- Note that this type of fixed security gate is not as strong as traditional steel trellis-style burglar proofing so it should only be used in low to medium-security risk locations.
Fixed security gates for cottage pane windows
If you are looking for an extremely strong fixed security gate for your windows, then look no further than Cottage Guard. These are some of the strongest window protection on the market because of the way they are manufactured. It is a premium product and more expensive than most, but once fitted you will have them for life.
Here are some reasons to choose Trellidor Cottage Guard as your fixed window security gates:
- It is manufactured using square aluminium tubing reinforced with a steel bar through the centre of each tube, making it extremely strong.
- The manufacturing process includes pre-treatment for enhanced corrosion and UV resistance, which makes these burglar bars suitable for both coastal and inland conditions.
- It is custom manufactured to fit the window.
- They are fully framed for increased strength.
- They are fixed into the substrate surrounding the window, also to increase strength.
- Trellidor Cottage Guard can be manufactured to match the gaps of existing cottage pane windows, making them hardly noticeable.
- The opening sizes, however, should comply with insurance specifications.
- They can be used to create a cottage pane effect if installed to protect large and vulnerable expanses of glass.
- The units are installed without welding, so there are no weak points for corrosion to set in.
- They can be powder coated to blend in with the home’s décor palette.
No matter which version of fixed security gates you prefer for your home, it is always advisable to get the opinion of an expert. This will ensure that you choose the right product for your home’s window style, level of crime risk and budget. Trellidor security consultants will do a free assessment of your home and what it needs in terms of fixed security gates for your windows as well as sliding security gates for your doors.
Find your nearest Trellidor outlet